Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What's for dinner?

I often find myself asking that question and resisting the urge to pick up the phone and order delivery from Bulldawg Food. One of my favorite things to make is lasagna. It is the perfect, comforting meal AND creates enough food for 2 dinners, great for a Sunday/Monday combo! Plus it is easy to mix up with different toppings, like bell peppers, olives, or butternut squash.

My recipe makes enough for 4 layers in a normal lasagna pan.

Sauce
1 lb of meat - I love 1/2 ground beef & 1/2 hot sausage or chicken sausage from Trader Joe's
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1/4 to 1/2 a jar of spaghetti sauce
1 small can of tomato paste
3 or 4 cloves of garlic
Onion - 1/2 maybe
Coarse garlic salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper (i like a little spice) to taste

I prefer oven-ready noodles, but normal noodles are fine too ( I like Trader Joe's)

8oz of cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 - 1 cup of Parmesan cheese (I eyeball it)
Nutmeg - maybe 1 tsp? (Yes, nutmeg)

Mozzarella cheese - 2 cups or so
Bell pepper sliced into thin-ish rings
Kalamata olives sliced in half long ways

To make:
Pre-heat oven to 400
Soften cream cheese
Brown the meat and drain
Add onion and garlic and cook until it smells yummy
Add tomatoes, sauce, and paste, season, and stir
Make a cheese mixture by combining the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, and nutmeg
Spread some spaghetti sauce from the jar on the bottom of pan
Spread cheese mixture on noodles and place in pan
Layer on sauce and mozzarella cheese
Repeat layers alternating between adding the bell pepper and olives

Let it sit for 30 minutes or longer (or follow directions on the noodle box) then cook for about 30 minutes!

I like to let mine cool for 5 or 10 minutes and serve on a bed of spinach leaves!

Let me know what you think if you make it!















1 comment: